Album artwork is one of those minor but finer arts in life. Just like judging a book by its cover, humans generally enjoy possessing things that are easy on the eyes. However, the raucous and squalid things are sometimes more interesting or likely to make you feel alive.

The High Places vs. Mankind album cover resembles what would be Hulk's vomit in your grandparent's shag green carpet. Yet the album surmounts the playful beauty of any of the band's previous work and introduces a fresh and credulous sound.


I agree. Album art is a thing that many people don't pay enough attention to. It seems like they don't view it as "art" because they are too focused on the album inside.
ReplyDeleteI don't want to say that I judge a cd by its cover, but in the back of my mind, I do. If I know the band it is completely different, but for unknown artists, I subconsciously evaluate their music based on how they made their cover art.
Is this a bad thing? I guess I really don't know.